Top Chef Rule #27 – Don’t serve raw prawns

On Wednesday nights, I always expect I will flip back and forth between Top Chef and CSI: NY. So I watch the setup on CSI and flip over to Bravo in time for the Quick Fire challenge. And then I get so engrossed in Top Chef that I forget about Eddie Cahill, which is hard for me to do.


Top Chef makes me wish I liked cooking. The contestants are so passionate about what they do – it becomes this beautiful combination of practicality and art. Last night Ashley and Eli were not excited about their dish and it showed in the final product. That’s another beautiful thing about Top Chef – the chef who cooks the worst dish usually goes home, end of story. And if you serve something raw that wasn’t supposed to be, you can pack your knives and go!

I really thought Ash should have gone home, though. That whole “letting Mike lead was like washing brushes for Picasso” thing was just way over the top and a little too much groveling for my taste. If he’s so convinced he wasn’t worthy, why should he stick around? I like my reality show contestants to walk that fine line between deserved self-confidence and obnoxious arrogance. That’s why I literally cheered when Kevin won the Quick Fire and chose the money over immunity. He knew he was good enough to not have to worry about going home so soon.

I’m off to go microwave a Hot Pocket for dinner…

0 comments: